formation on the Functions of the Planning Unit
The Planning Unit was established by CE following an organisational structure issued vide his Memo No. TRD/CE/GEN/07/02 of 13th August 2007. It was established as one of five Units at TANROADS regional level, others being Procurement Unit, Engineering Unit, Weighbridge Unit and Accounts & Administration Unit.
2.1 Strategic Responsibility:
Strategically, the Unit is responsible for all planning and programming duties for all road and bridge works involving field surveys, budgeting, action plans, works scoping, monitoring and reporting as well as for administration and internally generating Units and Sub-Units of RMO.
2.2 Functional Responsibility:
Functionally, the Unit is responsible for:
- Surveys of roads and bridges annual inventory, condition, traffic and materials.
- Storage and analysis of roads and bridges data through manual and computerised management systems.
- Preparation of maintenance and development annual and mid-year budgets and action plans and coordination of budgets and action plans of other Units.
- Designs of roads and bridges maintenance and development works (works scoping including preparation of site notes, take off sheets, bill of quantities, drawings/strip maps and specifications) and undertaking design reviews.
- Preparation of RMMS payment certificates for road and bridge works contractors.
- Preparation of quarterly, mid-year, annual, Regional Road Board and other ad-hoc reports as required.
- Provision of consultancy services on request from other public and private institutions such as District Councils as well as from individuals.
- Coordinating the design consultancy services for major projects managed by TANROADS Headquarters that fall within the region.
- Advising the Regional Manager on all issues pertain to planning and road network information management.
- Supervision and safeguarding all working tools, equipment and assets allocated to the Unit.
- Supervision of college students attending field/industrial training.
- Managing the operations of Quality Control Laboratory in the region (TANLAB), which is an independent Sub-Unit charged with the following activities:-
- Undertaking in situ soils investigation and site sampling.
- Carrying various laboratory tests on construction materials.
- Making quality control tests of for building and road works on workmanship.
2.3 Programme for FY 2015/16
- Preparation of annual budgets and action plans for FY 2015/16
- Design of maintenance and development works forFY 2013/14 FY 2014/15 and FY 2015/16.
- Preparation of RMMS payment certificates for Contractors.
- Preparation of quarterly and annually progress reports.
- Conducting road and bridge inventories, inspection and traffic surveys.
- Undertaking quality control testing through TANLAB Sub-unit.
- Coordinating two major road projects study and design consultancy services.
The Head of Unit is the in-charge of all activities of the Unit and is assisted by the Planning Technician (PLT) on part of planning duties and the In-charge of Materials Laboratory (IML) on part of managing TANLAB.
- Undertakes the annual inventory, condition and traffic surveys through RMMS.
- Maintains and disseminates roads and bridges network data.
- Prepares road and bridge works budgets and action plans for annual maintenance and development programmes.
- Prepares designs of road and bridge works for implementation of annual maintenance and development programmes.
- Oversees field and laboratory testing and quality control.
- Prepares payments for works contractors and consultants through the RMMS.
- Coordinates studies and detailed designs of major road projects undertaken by consultants vide TANROADS Headquarters including RAP and tender dossiers.
- Prepares quarterly, annual, Regional Road Board and ad-hoc reports.
- Recommends procurement and payments for items required by the Unit.
- Manages resources allocated to the Unit and maintains financial records.
- Conducts open performance appraisal (OPRAS) for Unit staff.
- Advises the Regional Manager on matters related to planning.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the Regional Manager
- Collects data and maintains records of inventory, condition and traffic surveys data through RMMS.
- Stores, safeguards and retrieves roads and bridges network data as needed.
- Drafts proposed road and bridge works budget proposals and action plans for annual maintenance and development programmes.
- Collects data on work activities, prepares site notes, takes measurements and prepares drawings, take off sheets and cost estimates for designs of works execution contracts.
- Processes contract works valuation and payment certificates through the RMMS.
- Assists in coordination of studies and detailed designs of major road projects undertaken by consultants managed by TANROADS Headquarters
- Assists in drafting quarterly, annual, Regional Road Board and ad-hoc reports.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the Head of Unit.
- Prepares TANLAB annual budgets and action plans.
- Receives clients requests for quality control needs by TANLAB.
- Prepares timetable for technicians to undertake quality control in field and laboratory.
- Oversees field and laboratory testing process to ensure procedures are followed.
- Receives test result reports, reviews them for correctness and submits them for further approval.
- Initiates procurement and payments processes for requirements of TANLAB Sub-Unit and maintains proper financial income and expenditure statements.
- Inspects received goods, services and works for TANLAB and recommends. payments to suppliers, service providers and contractors.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports for TANLAB.
- Manages resources allocated to the Sub-Unit;
- Advises the Head of Planning Unit on matters related to the management of TANLAB.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the Head of Planning Unit
- Prepare all tools, ingredients, equipments and transport required for testing.
- Undertake the actual field and laboratory testing as per manuals and timetable.
- Prepare test result reports for physical tests undertaken.
- Draft the plans and prepare procurement, payment and other working documents for review by In Charge of Materials Laboratory.
- Assist in the preparation of daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports as directed by the In Charge of the Materials Laboratory.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the In Charge of Laboratory.
Coordinates the role of RMO, local authorities, Resident Engineers of Supervision Consultants, Contractors and general public and draft responses to correspondences.
- Monitors consultant performance in line with the Consultancy Supervision Contracts.
- Supervises RMO major contractors through site instructions and monitors HQ managed major project contractors performance in terms of quality specifications, works programme and costs.
- Processes consultant and contractor invoices and facilitates timely payments for major projects falling under RMO.
- Reviews consultants’ reports on contractors’ time and cost claims and advises the Unit Head accordingly on all issues raised orally and in writing by stakeholders.
- Attend regular site meetings and ensures that the proceedings are correctly and adequately recorded in minutes.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual regular and ad hoc project progress reports as required.
- Organizes and monitors field surveys and data collection such as road inventory and conditions including data on damages.
- Reviews RMO overhead budgets, released supervision and other funds, expenditure and maintains proper financial statements including undertaking of reconciliation.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the Unit Head from time to time.
- Eng. Boniface M. Kullaya – Head of Planning Unit (HPL)
- Sabilo H. Msengi – Planning Technician (PLT)
- Annastazia Mujungi – Planning Technician(PLT2)
- Agrey Somi – In Charge of Materials Laboratory (IML)
- Gerald Mollel – Civil Technician
- Reginald U. Temba – Civil Technician
- Breakmas Lugendo – Assistant Laboratory Technician
- Alice Mungure – Senior Laboratory Assistant
- Eng. Bright Kiangi – Project Engineer
- Eng. Boazi Sunday – Project Engineer
While some of the staff above are on permanent employment terms, some are employed on contract basis and others are on training engagements.